My Passions

Listen to me read poetry on LibriVox!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Love Changes

You remember what it’s like in the early stages of love, when everything is new and you think this is it, I will never feel this fabulous again? And then the other shoe drops and you realize you made the biggest mistake of your young life? Even bigger then leaving the school office and immediately blabbing to all your friends that there’s a new boy in school and he’s as ugly as an angry troll only to find out that the new boy is your friend’s little brother?

Well I wrote this poem during just such a time in my life. Enjoy the foolishness of my unprepared heart and the hilarity that will inevitable ensue…


Untitled 1

my love, you change like the seasons!

your spring is cool, laid back and easy. the scent from your budding flowers fills me up as i cuddle up underneath your blanket of warm grass. ladybugs tickle me as crickets sing me to sleep. is this what it was like in your womb? i can't remember...

summer is just too damn hot! but i take it like a woman. i strip down to my first suit, slide on my shades and stand right in front of your sun until i am black as Africa! it hurts sometimes but i don't stop. i know your heat will cleanse me. i always feel born again after being with you...

in fall you are beautiful! all decked out like Joseph in your leaves of many colors. you blow me a kiss and it is crisp and bracing and makes me hungry. i feel like sitting on our front porch and just watching you dance around the lawn, twirling around in that coat. i eat the warm stew you made me and i think about how nice it is to be loved by you...

winter is when you are at your sweetest. you make me hot tea, just the way i like it, lot's of lemon and brown sugar. let's go outside you say. what? it's 20 degrees out there! but you pull me to the door and we run across the icy ground. your laughter blows straight through me, catching me off guard, like a draft right up my wool skirt and across my naked thighs. i am freezing but i will do anything to be with you. we run until we are out of breath and then we sit on that cold ground and hold hands. we say, "I Love You" at the same time...

my love for you is the only thing that will never change!


© 06/28/96 – Ms. GD



Frozen heart pic found here

No comments: