My Passions

Listen to me read poetry on LibriVox!

Monday, September 25, 2006

Missed Opportunities

More “love” drama comin’ atcha!


Untitled 7

If I capitulate
If I give in to your demands
What then?
They say love waits for no one
And they are usually right about these things

The last time I saw love
She was standing in the lobby
Of the building where I used to work
She invited me out for coffee
And I said yes
Because I didn’t have anything better to do and
Because I couldn’t bare another evening alone

We walked to the diner in complete silence
We must have looked strange together
She looking up into the twilight sky
I looking down at the cracked concrete
I could hear her quick, deep breaths
I smelled her cologne
I could feel myself falling in love

We sat in a booth close to the window
And she began telling me the story of her life
She spoke of her pain and loneliness
Of her need to be more than just an experience
She told me about how she cried
When she heard Tupac had been murdered because
That was the beginning of the end for her

Her hands were an excited blur
And she spat a little when she talked
And she couldn’t believe I’d never tried weed
But she said she understood my fear of clowns
And why I never learned to swim
Because too much water frightened her also
And good gracious wasn’t it nice to finally meet a kindred spirit

Then just like that she stopped talking
And, I suppose, waited for me to say something
So I blinked
I cracked my knuckles
I cleared my throat
I sat up straight in the booth
And excused myself from the table

In the ladies room I stood in front of the mirror
And tried to understand what had just happened
Be careful of what you wish for is what they would say
But I did wish for her and here she is and here I am
Shaking like a leaf
When I came out she was gone
“Ten minutes” the waitress said, “ And she paid the check too”

Do you understand now why this is so hard for me?
Do you understand why I can’t give in to you?
They would say I’m a fool but I can’t help but think
If love couldn’t wait for me
Why should I think you would?


© 7/25/99 – Ms. GD



Landscape pic found here

No comments: